Blog Archive

Monday, July 18, 2016

VCSC Show, 7/17/2016


                Lex and I are members of the Valley City Saddle Club here in Northeastern Ohio.  I decided that it would be best for us to take it easy this year and only enter the Walk-Trot classes this year.  I’ve definitely learned my lesson when it comes to pushing Lex too hard before he is ready.  We tried Showmanship at our first show of the season, in May, but we definitely have a lot of work to do!  I usually stick to 4 main classes, which are the English Pleasure, English Equitation, and two open w/t jackpot classes. 


                Lex has been doing very, very well in the English Pleasure classes-he is a Hunter Under Saddle machine!  It’s amazing to me how he can work so effortlessly.  This is always the first class of the day, and I’m usually incredibly nervous and always sure that we aren’t going to place.  However, Lex is the type that races around the warm-up ring and has me second guessing myself, but then goes in the show ring and pulls off the class like a champ.  He has his most consistent head set and stride whenever we are in the show ring in front of a judge.  He’s doing much, much better than I could have ever hoped for this year!  I’m excited for what next year holds for us in the English Pleasure classes.


                Ah, English Equitation.  For some reason, the equitation classes are my absolute worst.  I know the class is judged on me and how well I communicate with my horse, but somehow I still cannot score the way I want to in this class!  I’ve worked on my equitation in parts-hands, upper body, legs, knees, heels.  But I still can’t seem to put it all together at the same time and pull off a win in an equitation class.  I’ve been working hard and improving (at the beginning of the season, I wasn’t even placing in equitation, and now we are placing third or lower!), but it’s still frustrating to know that I obviously have a good horse that can win the classes in Pleasure, but I am the problem when it comes to equitation.  I guess it’s time to put even more work into using my legs properly and (gasp!) riding without stirrups to improve my leg strength.


                The two jackpot classes we enter are always good to measure how well we compare to a field of about 30 horses.  Sometimes we get a call back and sometimes we place, but I’m using these classes to try to establish a good feel of how we would place in the larger classes.  I would like for us to be able to consistently place in a large class before we move on to bigger show associations or breed shows. 


                I like to be prepared for my show day, so I usually try to do my hair before I leave the house.  I found this great tool called EZ Buns when I was at Equine Affair this past spring.  It makes getting a low, secure bun without the use of a million bobby pins, possible!  And, I can do it myself, in about 5 minutes.  Check out their website to see how easy it is!  www.ezbuns.com.  I also did my makeup fully before I left.  This made getting Lex ready at the show grounds much more relaxed because I wasn’t stressed about getting him ready and then having to mess with my hair and makeup.  I decided to do all of my makeup, without any shortcuts, and it was a great confidence booster in the show ring.  It made me feel put together and ready to take on my competition!  If you think you don’t have enough time to do your hair and makeup fully the morning of a show, try getting up just 30 minutes earlier and I guarantee it will give you extra confidence throughout your show day!



                Do you guys have any tips for setting goals for showing with your horses?  How about being organized and getting out the door in the morning?  Please share any show day tips below!

No comments:

Post a Comment