Blog Archive

Monday, December 4, 2017

Welcoming December!


This past weekend was mostly spent on home improvements!  I am very excited about this, because we FINALLY got our roof finished!  The people we bought the house from did a lot of things themselves, but they were just quick fixes to make things look nice--nothing was actually done correctly (for example, last night we found electrical tape on our propane line to the heater in our basement.  Hmmm...).  So, we have spent a LOT of time at Lowe's and Menards since we've owned the house, working on things like painting the bedroom, painting the bathroom, sealing leaky spots in the basement, replacing gutters, staining the deck, putting new carpet in the living room, repairing a portion of the roof, and painting the living room.


My brother took some time off with me on Friday so we could get to work on the living room.  We had some water damage on the ceiling and the top of one of the walls from the leaky roof, we got to work on that first.  We used spackling and ceiling paint to take care of damaged areas, and we ended up having to go back for another quart of the ceiling paint!



You can see a lot of the water damage (hopefully fixed!) at the top of the wall where it meets the ceiling, and how much damage the walls had on them in general.  The walls in the living room were an interesting orange/tan color, which went well with my western/horse theme.  However, I've been wanting to paint it, and I was hoping to go for something darker.  Andrew and I both like darker, richer, jewel tones in general.  The only place we chose a pastel for was the bedroom because I wanted more of a relaxed, airy feeling since it's more of an open loft than an actual room.


When we were done painting, I decided to do some rearranging with the furniture.  I set up this nice table with a lamp my brother and sister-in-law had gotten for us, and some pictures of Stubbs, along with his box of ashes.  It may seem a little strange to have an entire table dedicated to him, but I like having his things set out when I see them multiple times every day.  I still have some of his collars and toys that I'd like to make a shadow-box with, but I've decided to do things as I feel ready to instead of rushing to get everything done.



Andrew and I made a trip to Hobby Lobby on Saturday morning, where we decided to get a fake Christmas tree!  Since we'll be traveling at the end of December, we decided a live tree wasn't a good idea for the cats.  I love this one, with the pine cones and cranberries.  I definitely need some more snow for on top of the coffee table (and it would be great if Savage quit ripping the snow off the table and trying to eat it).  The cats are still fascinated with the tree, so I'm going to need some type of gate or something to keep them away.  I can't have houseplants or anything, as Graybeard likes to eat everything.  Our animals are so weird.  Anyway, in the pictures the color of the walls doesn't look drastically different, but I went with a burnt caramel color.  I absolutely love how it turned out!  I'm just getting all of the switch plates back where they belong, along with all of the wall art.


Since we were working so hard all day on Friday (it literally took us from 7:15 am to about 4 pm), I decided to get us some lunch from Pizza Hut.  Of all the pizza chains, Pizza Hut is one of my favorite!  Their hand-tossed crust is delicious.  My brother opted for Pepperoni and Banana Peppers, while I decided to go crazy with veggies (I know, it was a moment of inspiration!).  I had banana peppers, mushrooms, onions, green peppers, and bacon.  I also chose the parmesan garlic sauce instead of marinara.  I think one of the reasons I like Pizza Hut so much is because I can customize my pizza to exactly what I want!

Andrew, and my dad, uncle and cousin finished the portion of our roof that needed replaced!  We have been working on this for a few months, as it ended up being a pretty detailed project.  We had to scrape two layers of shingles off (like I said, the previous home owners tried to patch things rather than actually fix them), level the roof with 2 x 4's and plywood, and then lay down roofing materials and the actual metal roofing.  I chose a charcoal gray color for the panels, and I think as we are able to re-do the rest of the exterior of the house, everything will start to come together.  Andrew also mounted our TV on living room wall so we don't have so much furniture on the floor.  The room is only 16' x 20', so it can get cluttered quickly if there is too much furniture!







I took this goofy dog on a walk over the weekend, after he destroyed yet another Kong Quest Puzzle Toy!  I'm not sure he quite understands that he needs to get the treats out of the toy, instead of just destroying the toy!  Also, he got pictures with Santa at daycare last week, and also received a Christmas bandanna!  


I ordered Savage a pack of treats from Doggie Delicious Treats & More for part of his Christmas present, and the package also comes with a personalized Christmas ornament!  The package includes 4 dozen treats, a liver brownie, and the Christmas ornament--I thought this was a great deal for $20!  Check out the Facebook page for this business here:  Doggie Delicious Treats & More.  I met the lady who owns this business at the Paws in Park Pawty a few years ago.  Stubbs always loved her treats, and she makes healthy treats and explains why she uses the ingredients she chooses.  To me, that is much better than buying treats full of preservatives from a pet store!


We made a short trip into Medina to Medina Christmas Tree Farm to participate in their Trees for Troops program.  This program partners with FedEx to bring Christmas trees to military personnel serving overseas during the holidays.  All we had to do was go to a participating Christmas tree farm and make a donation.  We decided to sponsor an entire tree instead of just making a general donation.  The owners of the Medina Christmas Tree Farm were very kind and also very grateful to have people participate in the program.  I hope that this is a tradition we can continue to participate in every year!  Trees for Troops collections is complete for this year; but please visit the link if you are interested in participating next year!

I took my mom to see Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe at Barberton's Magical Theatre over the weekend.  Even though this theatre is catered towards families and small children, we always enjoy the shows we see!  Narnia was no exception.  We were impressed that the play was able to fit in all of the vital points of the story into 1 hour and 15 minutes!  It was very well done, the actors and actresses were outstanding, and the props/set was gorgeous.  As usual, the showing was mostly sold out.  The theatre has made some recent updates to the building, including new seating, carpet, wall decorations, and restoration of the public restrooms.  The building looks wonderful and I can't wait to go back for another show!  They have quite a few upcoming shows that look good, including 1984 and Curious George.  Check out their list of showings here:  Barberton Magical Theatre.

I picked up a new CD a few weeks ago while I was Barnes & Noble.  Chase Rice has finally released some new music, and I absolutely loved the whole CD!  My favorite tracks include Lions, Saved Me, Three Chords & the Truth, and This Cowboy's Hat.  Give it a listen!   Lambs & Lions

Lambs & Lions

No comments:

Post a Comment